Since I plan on being a history teacher I decided to create a history assignment.
These are the directions to my assignment: Go to: http://www.timesearch.info/timesearch/ and search the year of your birth and another year of your choice. Describe 10 interesting facts from each year.
1990 (birth year)
- The Hubble Space Telescope is launched from a space shuttle and goes into orbit 370 miles (600 km) above the earth.
- UK prime minister Margaret Thatcher, by now at odds with many in her cabinet, is challenged in a leadership contest and loses.
-Iraqi troops cross the border into Kuwait and are soon in control of the whole country and its oil wells.
- Mary Robinson is elected president of the republic of Ireland, the first woman to hold the post.
-East and West Germany are united in a new Federal Republic of Germany.
- Expelled from his own country, Saudi Arabia, Osama bin Laden moves to Sudan where he continues to develop al-Qaeda
- Panama's dictator, Manuel Noriega, is captured by US troops and taken to Miami on drug trafficking charges
-Nelson Mandela is given an ecstatic reception on his release after twenty-six years in prison on Robben Island, near Cape Town
-The aged president, Félix Houphouët-Boigny, wins the Ivory Coast's first democratic elections
-Aung San Suu Kyi's party wins an overwhelming victory in Burma's general election but the military refuse to hand over power
-French scientist Georges Cuvier introduces scientific paleontology with his Research on the Fossil Bones of Quadrupeds
-The British prime minister, Spencer Perceval, is assassinated in the lobby of the House of Commons by John Bellingham.
-After the death of Perceval, Lord Liverpool begins a 15-year spell as Britain's prime minister.
-Napoleon launches an attack on his ally, the Russian tsar Alexander I, with an army of more than 600,000 men.
-Damage to US trade by British orders in council prompts war (the War of 1812) between the two nations .
-After victory at Borodino, Napoleon enters Moscow to find the city abandoned and burning
-Napoleon begins the retreat from Moscow, in arctic conditions and harried by guerrilla attacks
-The British capture Detroit in an early engagement of the War of 1812
- The Spanish Cortes in Cadiz produces a strikingly liberal new constitution for Spain
-The Spanish authorities recover control of Venezuela, ending the region's first brief spell of independence